News News News!
It's a mad, mad, MAD, day today.... Taking a couple minutes off my insane schedule today to scribble a l'il update about stuff since the last time I took the time to write.
My girl got ENGAGED!!! Finally! After all the agony with her family and whatever, she got engaged on the 31st at Muthu's Curry. It was great, flowers and balloons and food. The people were nice, and everything mostly fell into place without too many hitches. No trouble from the dissenting parties, and the friends and family that did turn up were wonderful. Bought a black and cream silk sari for the occasion, the beauty shop tied it for me, thank goodness, and I got to wear heirloom gold from the groom's mother! My first time wearing real gold! She actually went to Cisco to drag out her cache of gold from her own wedding, and loaned it to my girl and I. I wasn expecting to wear just my own simple jewellery, but apparently she had other ideas.
I hadta miss my boy's visitation day in SAFTI, *wince* Felt bad about it too, coz all the rest of his platoonmates had their girlfriends turn up and parade. Well, I was hardly going to show up in a sari, bindi, and all, for everyone else to gawk at. I WILL make sure that when they have their end of course party, I'm going to be there, scandalous clothes and all. By that time, I should have worked off everything that I need to. I've started running (oh save me), on the way to making it every morning, and gym 3 times a week. So by Feb, I should be in shape :-)
I really hate running, but it's starting to get a little addictive, man. I got up at 0550 this morning, and hauled my fat ass outta bed and off running by 0615. Did about half and hour, then climbed the 11 floors to my house. Did my crunches, pushups, reverse crunches, and finished off my morning workout with stretches. Man, it felt good. Am a bit tired now, but I think it's worth it!
The best thing so far in the past couple weeks is an old friend back to visit!! Hadn't seen the guy in like 4 years, and my goodness, I don't know what they feed people Down South, but he's turned ino 145 lbs of muscle! Talk about dramatic changes. Just made me glad that I'd been working out for the past month, or I'd probably ended up feeling like a ginormous COW next to him. Not that he would've mentioned it, gentleman that he is, but still. I would have known, and that's more than enough for me.
Well, had a lunch and walk about town with him, if he were any other guy, I would've probably dragged his ass through every single mall in Singapore, but since it's him, I kinda let him off easy, and just walked a lot looking at stuff. He understands that there really isn't much to do in Singapore, since I can't grab a shotgun/rifle and go to the range to do target prac. Would if I could. You can get a AK47 for US$250 in the States!!!! And ammo isn't really too expensive either. Just my luck to be born in Singapore. I wouldn't mind a rifle... Miss the days where I gotta shoot one, legally, at 15. Those were the days; I'm a better shot with a M-16/AK than I am with a air rifle. Hated the things....
Spent a great evening out with my Cedar girls a week or so ago, had an absolute blast! We were only missing Dana & Naz to make the lot of us complete... They just HAD to be in the States, so.... *sigh* It was a fantastic time of catching up, & having fun at 1 Nite Stand. Salsa'd, danced, talked, laughed, screamed, just had a ball! I miss the days when we could do that almost every day... Sometimes it's hard to believe that more than 10 years ago we were all together in school, man. Time just slips through your fingers faster than you can believe. Seems like secondary school was just yesterday, and JC just an hour ago, and Uni about a minute behind me. Darn.
Let's move on before I get all maudlin...
Back to 2006, my boss called me into his office the other day last week, and say me down to talke to me. He says that as the youngest person in the office, I'll have the easiest time talking and relating to youth. Well, duh... And, wow, he sees that I have a great way of communicating with people, judging from the 3 (?) devotions that he's heard me share in. So, he thinks that I should move into the position of Youth Mobiliser! He's eager for me to do so, so that he can tell churches that he has a Youth speaker that can go and talk to their youth about missions. Great, innit? Since this is a public blog, I'll reserve my thoughts and feelings on it. Will write about it elsewhere... :-)
The two exchange boys are finally back!!! After 6 months of no one to bitch to, they're back!!! Had lunch with them, and caught up with all the latest. They had such a good time there, thank God. Made friends, and studied hard. One of them brought back a mini from UCal for me! :-) It's quite miniscule, planning to wear it at the chalet tonight with my girls. They don't mind legs, so no worries there.
Actually realised something 'bout the kiddies here just by spending time with my old friend. I can't stand how the boys here have no manners... It's a sad day when I have to be the one that helps with the heavy lifting coz they boys just don't notice. I saw it in camp, and I see it all the time elsewhere. Guys don't notice that you're carry thirty tons of crap unless they're interested in you to begin with. And the minute that you're no longer an interest, there you go. Girls do so much work coz the guys just don't notice. I've heard the same complaints from my girls over and over again, especially those that end up in the camp com. I figure that guys don't notice me, I don't mind coz I'm like, what, 5 - 8 years older than most of them anyway. Plus I've never really been considered a girl by them since I lift weights. (And what kind of logic is that?) There are so few gentlemen left in the world, I'm afraid they're almost extinct. How many guys offer you a hand when they see you having problems with your heels? How many let a lady go ahead of them? How many know how to open doors, care enough to ask if you need help, or even just lend a hand? We're not asking to be given royal treatment as if we were some sort of royalty, or delicate Victorian ladies from the eighteen hundreds. All we're asking for is some common courtesy. Don't cut in front of us when we're trying to get on the bus, train, etc. Walk on the right side of the girl you're walking somewhere, y'know, things like that. Ask if she need help when her bag(s) clearly are too much for her.
But then guys aren't all to blame. My sister asked the girls in her cell if they even expected such treatment, and they said no! I was quite horrified! I expect to be offered, even if I decline, and I will if I think that I can manage without the help. I don't understand how girls can not expect to be treated as such.
In the race to be a 'independant' as possible, have we as women lost our sense of femininity? Since when did recieving help or asking for help from a guy become a sign of weakness? Why have we sacrificed our womanhood on the altar of feminism? Strength & independence doesn't have to mean masculinity.
I understand independence. I like being an independent woman, of being strong, and fending for myslef. But where do we draw the line? Does independence mean being the closest thing to a man as possible? You couldn't PAY me to be a man. I may lift my weights, and work out, but does that mean that I wanna be a guy? Heck NO! Take me out into the desert and shoot me first. I workout so coz I wanna come to the point where my body will do whatever my mind tells it to do, whether I'm tired or not. Ladies, they're not going to learn to be gentlemen if we don't expect it of them. If we insist of being dominant, then they will never learn to take leadership.
Sometimes I sit at the back of the sanctuary and look at the youth, and I think to myself, we're supposed to get married to one of THOSE?! And this applies to both sexes. Take a good look at yourselves, ladies and gentlemen, and consider who you are.
Ach so.... There are my thoughts for the day, considerable more that little scribbles, it has ended up to be. Don't know how many read the this, but it's just a small part of my convoluted psyche.
Kisses!
My girl got ENGAGED!!! Finally! After all the agony with her family and whatever, she got engaged on the 31st at Muthu's Curry. It was great, flowers and balloons and food. The people were nice, and everything mostly fell into place without too many hitches. No trouble from the dissenting parties, and the friends and family that did turn up were wonderful. Bought a black and cream silk sari for the occasion, the beauty shop tied it for me, thank goodness, and I got to wear heirloom gold from the groom's mother! My first time wearing real gold! She actually went to Cisco to drag out her cache of gold from her own wedding, and loaned it to my girl and I. I wasn expecting to wear just my own simple jewellery, but apparently she had other ideas.
I hadta miss my boy's visitation day in SAFTI, *wince* Felt bad about it too, coz all the rest of his platoonmates had their girlfriends turn up and parade. Well, I was hardly going to show up in a sari, bindi, and all, for everyone else to gawk at. I WILL make sure that when they have their end of course party, I'm going to be there, scandalous clothes and all. By that time, I should have worked off everything that I need to. I've started running (oh save me), on the way to making it every morning, and gym 3 times a week. So by Feb, I should be in shape :-)
I really hate running, but it's starting to get a little addictive, man. I got up at 0550 this morning, and hauled my fat ass outta bed and off running by 0615. Did about half and hour, then climbed the 11 floors to my house. Did my crunches, pushups, reverse crunches, and finished off my morning workout with stretches. Man, it felt good. Am a bit tired now, but I think it's worth it!
The best thing so far in the past couple weeks is an old friend back to visit!! Hadn't seen the guy in like 4 years, and my goodness, I don't know what they feed people Down South, but he's turned ino 145 lbs of muscle! Talk about dramatic changes. Just made me glad that I'd been working out for the past month, or I'd probably ended up feeling like a ginormous COW next to him. Not that he would've mentioned it, gentleman that he is, but still. I would have known, and that's more than enough for me.
Well, had a lunch and walk about town with him, if he were any other guy, I would've probably dragged his ass through every single mall in Singapore, but since it's him, I kinda let him off easy, and just walked a lot looking at stuff. He understands that there really isn't much to do in Singapore, since I can't grab a shotgun/rifle and go to the range to do target prac. Would if I could. You can get a AK47 for US$250 in the States!!!! And ammo isn't really too expensive either. Just my luck to be born in Singapore. I wouldn't mind a rifle... Miss the days where I gotta shoot one, legally, at 15. Those were the days; I'm a better shot with a M-16/AK than I am with a air rifle. Hated the things....
Spent a great evening out with my Cedar girls a week or so ago, had an absolute blast! We were only missing Dana & Naz to make the lot of us complete... They just HAD to be in the States, so.... *sigh* It was a fantastic time of catching up, & having fun at 1 Nite Stand. Salsa'd, danced, talked, laughed, screamed, just had a ball! I miss the days when we could do that almost every day... Sometimes it's hard to believe that more than 10 years ago we were all together in school, man. Time just slips through your fingers faster than you can believe. Seems like secondary school was just yesterday, and JC just an hour ago, and Uni about a minute behind me. Darn.
Let's move on before I get all maudlin...
Back to 2006, my boss called me into his office the other day last week, and say me down to talke to me. He says that as the youngest person in the office, I'll have the easiest time talking and relating to youth. Well, duh... And, wow, he sees that I have a great way of communicating with people, judging from the 3 (?) devotions that he's heard me share in. So, he thinks that I should move into the position of Youth Mobiliser! He's eager for me to do so, so that he can tell churches that he has a Youth speaker that can go and talk to their youth about missions. Great, innit? Since this is a public blog, I'll reserve my thoughts and feelings on it. Will write about it elsewhere... :-)
The two exchange boys are finally back!!! After 6 months of no one to bitch to, they're back!!! Had lunch with them, and caught up with all the latest. They had such a good time there, thank God. Made friends, and studied hard. One of them brought back a mini from UCal for me! :-) It's quite miniscule, planning to wear it at the chalet tonight with my girls. They don't mind legs, so no worries there.
Actually realised something 'bout the kiddies here just by spending time with my old friend. I can't stand how the boys here have no manners... It's a sad day when I have to be the one that helps with the heavy lifting coz they boys just don't notice. I saw it in camp, and I see it all the time elsewhere. Guys don't notice that you're carry thirty tons of crap unless they're interested in you to begin with. And the minute that you're no longer an interest, there you go. Girls do so much work coz the guys just don't notice. I've heard the same complaints from my girls over and over again, especially those that end up in the camp com. I figure that guys don't notice me, I don't mind coz I'm like, what, 5 - 8 years older than most of them anyway. Plus I've never really been considered a girl by them since I lift weights. (And what kind of logic is that?) There are so few gentlemen left in the world, I'm afraid they're almost extinct. How many guys offer you a hand when they see you having problems with your heels? How many let a lady go ahead of them? How many know how to open doors, care enough to ask if you need help, or even just lend a hand? We're not asking to be given royal treatment as if we were some sort of royalty, or delicate Victorian ladies from the eighteen hundreds. All we're asking for is some common courtesy. Don't cut in front of us when we're trying to get on the bus, train, etc. Walk on the right side of the girl you're walking somewhere, y'know, things like that. Ask if she need help when her bag(s) clearly are too much for her.
But then guys aren't all to blame. My sister asked the girls in her cell if they even expected such treatment, and they said no! I was quite horrified! I expect to be offered, even if I decline, and I will if I think that I can manage without the help. I don't understand how girls can not expect to be treated as such.
In the race to be a 'independant' as possible, have we as women lost our sense of femininity? Since when did recieving help or asking for help from a guy become a sign of weakness? Why have we sacrificed our womanhood on the altar of feminism? Strength & independence doesn't have to mean masculinity.
I understand independence. I like being an independent woman, of being strong, and fending for myslef. But where do we draw the line? Does independence mean being the closest thing to a man as possible? You couldn't PAY me to be a man. I may lift my weights, and work out, but does that mean that I wanna be a guy? Heck NO! Take me out into the desert and shoot me first. I workout so coz I wanna come to the point where my body will do whatever my mind tells it to do, whether I'm tired or not. Ladies, they're not going to learn to be gentlemen if we don't expect it of them. If we insist of being dominant, then they will never learn to take leadership.
Sometimes I sit at the back of the sanctuary and look at the youth, and I think to myself, we're supposed to get married to one of THOSE?! And this applies to both sexes. Take a good look at yourselves, ladies and gentlemen, and consider who you are.
Ach so.... There are my thoughts for the day, considerable more that little scribbles, it has ended up to be. Don't know how many read the this, but it's just a small part of my convoluted psyche.
Kisses!

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home