Sunday, June 26, 2005

Hello again after the longest time ever... I haven't written in here for a good month or so, got sooo busy working. When you work, you stop having time to yourself. Really. Trust me.

I was sitting in YF on Saturday and looking at the program go by; the worship (sang in that), encouragement (did that too for Daniel and Glory), the message, the CG (led cell, dunno how effective that was), and the ending of it all. It's been 10 years for me in Youth group. Can you imagine that? Actually, no you can't till you get to be my age. Sitting there at 23, after somwhere between 4 to 5 years in serving in the YF, I figured that I could either get 'too old for this' or move with the times. Actually, I didn't have much choice in that, now did I, considering that in orfer for me to keep in touch with the youth of today, I gotta keep in touch with how the river flows. Cool, innit? I end up being 23 and still knowing most of what's going on the in world of the youth.

I think it's pretty sad these days how school's ruining young lives though, now more that ever. I remember being 13 and getting home from school in the EARLY afternoon, by which I mean no later than 3pm. I used to have time to myself to read, just sit around, and actually play. Now, I just don't see that happening anymore. What with all the extra stuff that kids have to do in the name of creativity, sports, community service, academics, where is the time where kids can just be kids?

Then I could be suffering from 'Golden Age' syndrome.

Then you have to look at the kids these days too. I have never heard the words 'I'm bored' and 'There's nothing to do' more often than in the past couple of years that I've worked with youth. Given that all their time is so carefully structured, youth seem to have lost the ability to amuse themselves. Either that or they indulge in one activity to the exclusion of all others. Like Gaming. Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against gaming, considering that my boyfriend indulges in it too.

BUT! I have realised that youth that engage excessively in such activities seem to lose the ability to interact socially, and are often chronically undersocialised. And it a cycle. Kids can't fit into the real world, they 'hide' in the virtual, don't develop appropriate skills, can't fit in somemore, and go back into the virtual world; there the cycle goes again. Not to say once again that gamers are all socially challenged, there are definitely gamers whoa re well socialised and extroverted.

Kids, learn to entertain yourself. The world does not owe you entertainment. Learn to read widely, take up a hobby, build something, play an insrtument or something like that. You really do have to be more proactive in engaging your mind. There, I said it. Don't complain. Go entertain yourself, and don't deafen us with endless plaints about being bored and having nothing to do. The idle mind is the Devil's workshop, doncha know?

I wanna go back to sleep now... There's a interesting, albiet high;y disturbing dream I wanna finish. Gotta see where this one goes...

Kisses, babe!

P.S: Hugs to all who just came back from overseas, Andrew Chia, Andrew Harkness, Keith Pang, Trish Lim. Kisses!!

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home