Wednesday, March 09, 2005

Thinking about....?

Bonjour! I am thinking hard about some stuff again... Comes of having nothing to do in the office.

I was reading a book 'Bedroom Games' by Mary Taylor. It's a book on strip-teasing and the stripper's life. The author was a stripper for a good 20 years before she left the industry to do other stuff, like writing and teaching strip moves to other people. It's a book of good fun, some very interesting insights into the world and work (mind you, it is work) fo stripping. I do NOT recommend it for any of you. Just for the reason that your parents might have a heart attack.

What kind of woman becomes a stripper? Well, actually, as I gathered, any kind of woman can become a stripper. You don't have to be blonde (bleached or otherwise), busty (silicone, saline, or natural, sir?), and bimbotic (some people just can't help that). There are strippers that look like schoolteachers, the housewife next door, milk maids, it takes all kinds (to satisfy men's libidos; one man's meat is another's poison. In this case, quite literally.).

Why? Well, for one thing, the money's really really REALLY good. Especially if you can really shake it. Women do it to support themselves, sometimes their families, sometimes for fun!

One thing I noticed was that these women were not afraid of their bodies. They were not perfectly made (unless they had undergone the knife), I presume; they had their share of lovehandles, thunderthighs, batwings, chubby tummies, double chins, and so on. Yet there they were, every evening, displaying their bodies (naked or not), to a bunch of men. Now the guys that go to strip bars were not necessarily you sterotypical old dirty man who can't get any. There were men from everywhere, young, middle-aged, old, successful, not.

Women have been brought up in our day and age to be afraid of their bodies; how they look, feel, react. Don't get me wrong; I don't advocate that girls should leave nothing to the imagination. But more and more I see girls (the ones I know, anyway) hardly daring to wear a nice sleeveless tank. I think that this is more relevant to my church girls than anyone else. Those that do dress more 'revealingly' are often looked down on, gossiped about, rebuked.

Why? Is there something wrong with your body? Is it scarred, deformed? And no, a tummy is not a congenital defect. We have been raised in a society that thinks that skinny is beautiful. I will be one of the first to state that excess lipids spilling out of jeans/skirt/top is horrendous, but as long as you know what to wear to accent your features, what is actually preventing yourself from wearing it? I dare y'all to say that you have never thought, in the deepest depths of your heart, 'I wish I could wear that halter/bustier/skirt/shorts/dress!' The fact is that you can. Why not?

Naturally, modesty is important. There are parts of your anatomy that should be kept to yourself and your husband. There are parts of you that the rest of us REALLY do not want to see. Plus there is the fact that we're not supposed to tempt our brothers. But if the dressing in church is anything to go by, I wonder who is getting tempted by anything! A baggy tee is sexy in the bedroom, post-sex, worn with brief and possibly bunny slippers. It is not sexy anywhere else. Comfort is good, but you CAN be comfortable AND sexy.

Ladies, go discover your bodies. God didn't give it to you for you to be totally ignorant of it. Find out your body shape, where you put the weight on, your metabolism, your cup size. Skin texture, hair texture, colour, and rate of growth, skin tone/colour; all these are part of you. They will not go away or change just because you're not paying attention to it. These are all things you can findout by talking to your regular hairdresser or beautician (if you have one). Do you PMS, and how does it manifest? How regular are your cycles (keep track, for heaven's sake!!!)? Are your nails in good shape? They're a good indication of your health. Go to your doc and get a physical. Are you in good shape? Is your muscle tone good, or non-existant?

Strictly for those old enough to know what I'm talking about, go figure out what feels good and what doesn't. Your boyfriend/husband (it better be husband, for most of you) will thank you.

Figure out what your style is. It couldbe basic, eccentric, bohemian, bimbotic, elegant, boyish, beachy, sharp, sexy, whatever. No, sloppy is NOT a style. It is a condition.

Ultimately, it all comes down to confidence. We have to come to a point where we can say, Yes, I have a tummy, a big ass, and gasp! pimples, but I will wear that little black dress anyway, and feel good about myself! It does help if you have friends that don't criticize you. If you do, I say go get some new ones. Why would a good friend revel in making you feel bad about yourself?!

Don't pay attention to the media. Nicole Richie is a size 4, Teri Hatcher, a size 6. That means, although they look good in gowns and such, they are, quite literally, skin and bones. Try them in a two-piece. Oh look! A rib-cage! Not only is that unhealthy, it is disgustingly ugly. In what way, if any, does a bag of bones look attractive? Perhaps if you look at the face and ignore the rest of it... But then, the face is hardly that attractive either. We are so seduced by 'Thin is In', that we forget that these celebrities have personal trainers, miserable food, hours on the treadmill, under the knife, the brush of the makeup artists, and not to mention specially designed clothes, to make them beautiful

Throw out the weighing scale, and pay more attention to the way your clothes fit. Yes, you can wear that tube, but do you have the bust and attitude to carry it off? Be honest with yourself. Pick clothes that flatter you, and don't be afraid to show off your assets! So what if you have a huge ass? Accent your chest instead! No bust? Go with the legs, girl! You are beautiful!

Believe it!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home