Wednesday, February 16, 2005

It's all the education sytem's fault.

Ah... Back after a long hiatus in writing long letters to myself.

Happy Chinese New Year, people!!! Hope you had fun over the long long long weekend!! If you had a long long long weekend. I did. :)

Went to Cocco Latte last Friday evening with Shaun, Lionel, & Barry. I love that place! Totally rocks, man! The music is exactly to my tastes without all that Top 40s, Retro, Trance, or House rubbish. Almost 3 solid hours on the dance floor!!! Talk about fun!!!! Have to do it again sometime.

Stupid Spring/Summer season has arrived. I went shopping for my CNY clothes for weeks!!! I found exactly nothing.

This country has nothing suitable for anyone with a modicum of fashion sense and style. You would think that someone with my sense on fashion; clean lines, flowing drape in black, white, blue, red, purple, and occasionally grey, would have no problem with finding clothes, since they are, as my sister calls them, boring. I prefer to think of them as basic pieces. Now, my taste in clothes are as simple as is possible. Logically, that should translate into me having no problem with my clothes.

On the contrary, there are no basics to be found anywhere in this fashion-challenged country!!!! I actually did not think that it would be so bad, since up to this year I've always been able to find SOMETHING to wear. Now, I despair. *swoon*

What passes for fashion in this country is for posers, pseudo-japs/honkys/koreans, wannabe streets, ah-lians, and people with miserable fashion sense. Fashion hub my big, fat, flaming, ass. If this rubbish is fashion, then I think I'll go live on a mountain somewhere.

When did ruffles, lace, frills, polka-dots, tiers, fringes, and all the rest of the assorted nonsense become 'fashionable'? I can understand a little bit. Like at the hem, okay, I can live with that. Then I walk onto the street and see someone pairing a pink ruffly baby tee hemmed with purple lace printed with 'Princess' (not forgetting the little crown) with a lavender, polka-dotted denim knee length skirt. With white Adidas sneaks and pearls, chandelier earrings that could hold candles, pink glittery nails, rocks on every finger, and makeup that you could scrape off with a spoon. Oh, let's not forget the pink-and-purple shawl.

Which part of that is supposedly fashionable? *Screams and runs for cover*

Fashion Hell is more like it.

For some reason, we have internalised that more is better, and it has carried over into our fashion sense.

More lace, more pearls, sequins. Bigger stripes, dots, tiers. Flashier ruffles, glitter, makeup.

Is this really what it takes for us to set ourselves apart or are we really conforming to the norm? Think about it.

I truly hope you have not really convinced yourselves that such dressing is actually cool, and that you look good. Do not live in denial any longer. Let me disillusion you.

It's not. And you don't.

While we try not to judge a book by its cover, the clothes really do make a man. How do you know what kind of person a man is? Look at his dressing long term. Really. It's not foolproof, but it works for me. If a person neglects his/her personal dressing, wears shorts & slippers all the time, never bothers to make the effort to looks presentable, it tells me that he/she is either:

1. Like our dear Chris (although he has improved in leaps and bounds)
2. Bone lazy & irresponsible
3. Should just be shot.

This, of course, is my personal opinion. Chris is a living example or someone who doesn't care about what he wears, and has turned this idiosyncrasy into a personal trademark. I hope his trademark changes soon. But he is alot better. (Thank you, thank you, you really love me!!)

Clothes has always been the thing that discriminates onr group from another and helps us to have our own personal identity. It cements who we are and aids our sense of being. If you take a good look, notice that friends start to dress more similarly. This can even be generalised to different races. What do you think ethnic dress is for? Why do fundamentalist groups insist their people wear the veil/headscarf/uniforms? Clothes serve a psychological purpose as well as a physical one.

Let's take it down to the personal level. Say you decide one day to wear a new skirt/top/pair of shorts. You go to school/town to meet your friends, and they take one look at you and go, 'Girl, that skirt/top/shorts is way cool!!' For the rest of the day how do you feel? You feel confident, accepted, happy. But let's say that it was some new cut/colour that you decided to try out. Your girls take one look at you and say, 'Girl, that skirt/top/short be WRONG!! Where do these clothes come from??!!' I can almost guarantee that unless you are supremely grounded in who you are, you will NOT be feeling confident, accepted, happy. On the contrary, you will feel self-conscious, uncomfortable, left out, and will take the every chance you can get to hide, and grab the first opportunity to change out. That skirt/top/shorts will never see the light of day again. No matter that it cost you 700 bucks at BCBG Maxazria.

It's quite sad, actually. Your dressing identifies you. You are a unique individual. You could have fooled me.

These days, everyone dresses the same way. If a couple people start wearing ruffles, soon everyone else follows. Same goes with blonde (or rather orange) hair, highlight, rebonding, perming, miniskirts, bell-bottoms, flared skirts, platform shoes (the ugliest shoes in the world), nail art. When I was in university, I used to sit in the forum and watch the people go by. After a while I started having trouble telling them all apart. Uni girls in particular. Especially from the back. They were universally chopstick thin, had dyed/highlighted rebonded hair, wore Levi's jeans, with a Giordano spaghetti strap/short-sleeved top. Usually in black. What variety. What colour. This generalisation applies for the dominant race in our population. The others have their own, not to worry.

Quite pathetic, I think. Let what you wear reflect who you are.

It's all the education sytem's fault.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home