Friday, June 23, 2006

Throw the switch!

As I get older and continue working with young people, I realise that some things never change.

  1. A kid in the flush of first crush believes that he/she invented the darned thing.
  2. A kid in the grip of first love believes that the other party hung the moon, designed the sky, and spends his/her spare time being perfection and innocence.
  3. A kid in the throes of first breakup believes that he/she invented pain.
  4. A kid who believes him/herself in love, automatically becomes illogical, stupid, and otherwise incapable of reason.

Yes, folks, this is my conclusion so far. But please take note that the 4 rules above apply (mostly) to those below the age of 20. Idiots.

I suppose it's hormonal and whatever, but really doesn't getting together, breaking-up and making-up constantly get really tiring? I mean, once, fine, a mistake. Twice, okay, people aren't perfect. Three times, right,we've been through this before, what were you thinking? Four, Five, Six? What is WRONG with you? Do you have NO self-preservation at all?

Forget learning from other peoples mistakes. Young people believe they are invincible, different from everybody else, above the rules. That's why they make such great figher pilots, inventors, etc., because as long as you don't tell them that it can't be done, they'll find a way to do it. Usually in a dangerous and life-threatening manner.

So, naturally they charge straight into it, do exactly the same thing that their predecessors did, nevermind that their predecessors are standing there SCREAMING that it doesn't work that way, and then expect results that are the polar opposite of what happened in the past. I mean, really. This just gives credence to a theory I once heard, that teenagers are lacking a 'logic loop' in their brains, that disconnects when you reach puberty at like 12 or 13 (if you're unlucky, if you are, then maybe 14), and only reconnects at 20 (if you're lucky. If you're unlucky, well... I know some 30-year olds without it.).

Oh I'm sorry... I'm in a terrible mood, and tired to boot. I know, that isn't really an excuse, but sometimes... REALLY!!!! The Bitch switch has been 'ON' for so long, I'm starting to grow fangs and claws.

Heard yesterday from a wonderfully unexpected source, that the boy did something unbelieveably stupid. He actually told someone in his class to 'shut up' because he was talking. Well. Now that is something that, if enough people decided to complain about, could get you fired. Not smart, that. It's unprofessional, incredibly arrogant, and just plain rude. The person went straight up to to him after class and basically told him to watch it, we are, after all, paying your damn salary. I mean, this is your job, after all, and you have a responsibility to your workplace to do your job to the best of your ability. Telling off your patrons is not doing your job. It's arrogance and pride. Oh well, we'll just give him the rope, someday he'll hang himself with it.

On e of my girls leaves on a flight this evening for the lovely continent of Australia to study for a year and a half. She'll do well there, I hope.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home